Re: [IP] comparison questions

Laura and Shane,
I was close to Shane's age when I left your fair city 20 years ago.
Are you consulting McFarland Clinic's diabetes-specialty people?
Is Dean Harms still there practicing opthalmology?
Virtual Reality Applications Center?
that's new since I was on campus.
ISU-Alumni Assoc SanFRanciscoBayArea meeting here in SJ tonight.
If you're not on "browser" access, please be sure your department
and account's mail-handling capacity is up to the volume of mail
you are getting by participating in Insulin-Pumpers.

>Shane is trying to decide between the MM and D. a few questions about them:
I am an owner of some of both makes pump, and
very partisan towards my favorite, Disetronic
Hope I am not starting another round of pump-wars here
My opinions show here.
Many MiniMed users praise their device ecstatically, and
are very well-satisfied by it and their supplier.
BOTH machines are good; some of us like one or the
other more, and some want the one he does not have.

>1) On either one, we know that you can shut off the beeps
>during the bolus.
>Is it possible to turn off ALL the beeps, for example when
>scrolling through menus, etc (except for alarms of course!)
Users of MiniMed 507C can describe or demonstrate its audio-bolus
feature better than I, but as I understand it the MiniMed 507C
emits sound for two situations: alarms and if ENABLED, also
during bolus-control, Somebody else please tell if you can
even get sound for menu-scrolling? Older MM models did not
have any audio-bolus feature, but did make alarm noises.
Disetronic beeps every time one pushes any button, unless
DISABLED by pushing both top buttons at the time-set function.
Error-alarms are never suppressed by this.
A so-silenced Disetronic then requires viewing the screen
in the MiniMed fashion to perform bolus.
Audio-enabled MiniMed users please tell whether you can
reliably set and administer any bolus easily without looking,
just by feeling the pump through clothes when worn "under"?
I appreciate the ability to do this with the Disetronic pump.

>2) If you take out both (or all 3 on the MM) batteries at once, we
>assume you will have to reset the clock, but will you then have to
>re-program all the settings and basal rates as well?
>Our understanding is that with the D, you can replace the
>batteries one at a time and avoid having to reset the clock,
>but what if for some odd reason you have to take out both at
Disetronic does NOT forget your basal settings with batteries out
This is the PROPER way to store the second pump for as many months
as you want, whether 1to3, or 22 months, Disetronic H-Tron's
DO NOT FORGET your settings while batteryless.

>3) We read somewhere that on the D, with the 2 year warranty
>on each pump, that after your 2 years were up, you send it in
>for a checkup, and that it then comes back (assuming all is ok),
>with another 2 years of warranty on it, and that you can continue
>this process indefinitely. Can this really be correct???
MiniMed increased its warranty to 4 years attempting to compete
with these qualities of the Disetronic.  In turn, Disetronic
follows MiniMed on price increases.  Either way you (or insuror)
"buys" 4 years of pump-usage-time. More is "after" warranty.
Disetronic H-Tron is supplied with 2 years of clock-running-time
configured. Two pumps are supplied, so you bought 4 years usage.
If the Disetronic unit is in satisfactory condition when
inspected at time-to-run-has-become-zero, Disetronic resets it
for you, and you can repeat that at no additional cost for
as many times as you can keep it undamaged,
(seems more damage-resistant than MiniMed to me too)
but it is "out-of-warranty" after the re-setting.
Some of our members have kept at least one runnable
for 8 years or longer I believe.
You are located very conveniently close to Disetronic-USA
offices, 5 hours drive up I-35 to the northwest suburban
Minneapolis area! Even if you never go there, with TWO
pumps, you don't have to wait for airplane-express service
to bring you the replacement "next business morning", you
already have it with you, even if one lived so far from
civilization that UPS&Fedex don't come everyday (what if
a MiniMed user had a problem last Friday night, then there
was Sunday and LaborDay was Monday...?)

>4) On one of the MM videos, it said to only put enough insulin
>in to last for a certain number of days (can't remember the
>exact number > > now). Is there some reason why you should
>not just fill it all the way up and thus be able to wait
>a bit longer before refilling? It was our understanding that there is
>generally no problem with the insulin quality as long as you don't expose
>it to lots of temperature extremes.
You are watching MiniMed policy in action, which encourages
wastage. Founded on the older infusion sets which did not
have the "disconnect" features most of us now use, MM suggests
never "changing" the connection of a new infusion-line to the
luer-connection of the plastic pump-syringe ("reservoir" is
the MiniMed official term), so MM suggests planning your
reservoir-fill to be consumed shortly after you plan to do
a "set-change" to connect a new infusion set to your body.
That number of days on an infusion set is usually suggested
to try-not-to-exceed 3 days. Your CDE & Dr. should provide
their own ideas on the subject too.
Disetronic 315unit filled "cartridge" (Disetronic term for
the pump's syringe) lasts me about 7-9 days depending on
how much I use (eat!) during which time I use (typically)
3 infusion sets on 1 infusion-line. This technique will
probably be confirmed as usable by some MiniMed users too.
MiniMed users often comment on their running out of insulin
unexpectedly, because that machine does not produce the
electronic display-screen readout of 194.8 units remaining
Disetronic (mine at this moment) does. They have to open
the door on the back to look at the syringe (reservoir,
excuse me) to estimate whether there is enough remaining
for whatever time they plan to be away from home...
Has any MiniMed user ever broken that door?
Newer Disetronic pumps can be chosen transparent or a blue
translucent case, so you can BOTH see the cartridge AND
have the on-screen readout, or it can be the same opaque
grey my older ones are.
Is the blue MiniMed see-through too?
As "practice" for carrying either one, try keeping a
(wrapped) 3.5oz bar of hand-soap with you day&night
for a few days. It's exactly the right weight, 100g give
or take 5, and maybe a little too thick, but about right
to model the "heft" of both machines.

David C. Winegarden
Fremont, CA