[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
[Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

[IP] Re: Schools against kids

> Boy do i agree!  I guess if you get a descent school nurse your considered 
> lucky!  Today Matt went back to school and to boot the school is 
> "overcrowded" so they have 2  fifth grade classes in "trailers" Matt being in 
> one of them. Now keep in mind, the trailers are detached from the school, so 
> the kids must go outside to go back into the school building, for lunch, 
> bathroom, water etc......i know what you are all thinking, unfortunately I 
> wanted this particular teacher for Matt so he's in the trailer, otherwise 
> they would of accomodated him by keeping him in the building.  So Matt and i 
> decided to set up the nurses office with supplies as well as the trailer. So 
> i go to take the tupperware with 2nd meter, strips, juice, glucose tabs, and 
> snacks, i thought i'd run into trouble because of all the posts i've read, so 
> i decided to buy a small sharps container for the "bloody" strips (this is 
> other peoples observations) and the lancets.......only to here the nurse 
> start complaining, that she is worried about the other children and sharps in 
> the classroom!  Well thank goodness for this site, because it gave me the 
> confidence to back up my decision.  I stood my ground and told her that Matt 
> is very responsible and the teacher is fully aware of the situation.  She 
> then goes on to say......maybe he should test in the closet area!!!!!  
> AHHHHHHH, only because this is unique, Matt is the only one with D in over 
> 800 students!  I say you wait until he gets his pump, then you will see 
> unique, it chimes, beeps and has alarms, what will you say to that!!!!!!!  
> She got my point!  I later ran into the principal who didn't say one word 
> about NOT testing in the classroom!!!!!!!!  I just really needed to vent!  
> Hope everyone's first day didn't start this way!  It's only 10:44!!!!!  I 
> need to go calm myself!
> Matt is on the path to pumping!
> Mag

Sorry to post the whole message but I couldn't find any good place to
on this one.  I am 23 so things may have changed a little since I was in
school.  However, in my situation K-3 I did a little speech at the
of the year to the teacher and class about diabetes and myself with a
picture book my mom found along the path of her research.  The book had
kid elephant and his story of how he was diagnosed with diabetes.
I regress.  Basically by 3rd grade all the kids new and my friends knew
what to look for.  No one had problems with me eating in class.  The 
teachers were informed by a letter, not unlike one posted on this site,
and by a conversation with me on the first day.  They seemed to be 
reassured that I knew so much, and made both us less nervous that my
parents weren't there.  The school secretary was a friend of my moms,
and looked out for me when she could.  Don't know if the principal ever

When I entered middle school, I was finally at a school with a nurse on
hand, but she never was let into the loop.  I told all my teachers on
first day and by then my friends knew better then I did when I was
low. :)  Never wanted to run into the school nurse, but then again the
one at my school was ....not nice to put it kindly.  I would take my
out in the middle of class, test and react as needed.  With the beep
off no one usually noticed.

So I guess I am confused at all the frustrations with school nurses, do
really need that much interaction with them?  Your son/daughter/self
most likely interact the most with fellow students and teachers and if
know what to do, less time will be wasted getting the school nurse. 
most school nurses in my school worked half days, and or short weeks. 
If I 
had depended on them, I would have hoped I would never have a bad
when they are not around.

-- Just my 2 cents
-- Sherry
for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
GIVE to Insulin Pumpers http://www.insulin/pumpers.org/donate.shtml