Re: [IP] accomodations for blind pumper? -- yes !

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 12:55:33 -0500
Terry Walkup" <email @ redacted>
>Does anyone know of any blind pumpers, or if it would be a possiblity for
Several of us have heard a most vocal, inspiring,
blind, advocate for good diabetes control speak
in the  programs of "Taking Control of Your Diabetes"
Where the Conference Founder and Executive Director
Steven V. Edelman, M.D., Associate
Professor of Medicine UCSD School of
Medicine VA Medical Center, San Diego.
Can probably connect you with also San Diegan
Mr. Urban Miyares, whose testimony in favor of pump usage
in cases such as your friends' is so strong, most
opponents defer and approve without his even having to
actually receive the words from him.

Both manufacturers of insulin pumps provide audible signals
to allow not only those of us who sometimes wish to avoid
looking at the pump to control it, but also allow those who
cannot look at it to use it too!
I am familiar with my Disetronic insulin pumps, and believe
its every command function could be reliably performed unseen.
Others familiar with using MiniMed 507C can tell whether its
audio-bolus feature is the only audible control feature it has,
or might be able to extend it to monitoring every function?
I've forgotten which Mr. Miyares was using when I met him, but
I believe he can speak of having used both makes of pump.

David C. Winegarden
Fremont, CA