[IP] Re: weight loss at diagnosis

> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] weight loss at diagnosis??
> there are days when I am tempted to rip this pump off and lose the 20 lbs that
> I have gained.  I was told that I would not gain any
> weight getting on the pump.  I was in seventh heaven before diagnosis.  I
> could eat and eat and not gain weight and then finally started
> losing weight.
> Gwenn

Gwenn,

You lost weight before diagnosis because your body wasn't working correctly!
Most people with normal metabolism cannot eat and eat without gaining weight.
How long ago were you diagnosed?  I gained about 20 lbs in the year after I was
diagnosed, but it was weight I had either lost or had never gained while I was
sick.  Also, I don't know how old you are, but my metabolism changed pretty
drastically when I was about 19.  Suddenly I had to be more conscious of what I
was eating, because I started to gain weight much more quickly.

The pump itself shouldn't cause you to gain weight.  I'd suggest first looking
at other issues--the amount of insulin you take, how many lows you are having to
treat, thyroid levels, etc.--before assuming the pump is the cause.

Best of luck.

Jen