[IP] First BackPack Using a Pump

I just completed my first backpack using a pump and found it worked
beautifully.  The first day was a real 'grunt' uphill to a mountain Lake
(Ralph Lake)with four days worth of fuel and food.  I turned my basal rate
down to half (.3) for the hike up (3 and a half hours and 1000 ft
elevation) and I was 4.1 (100?) at the Lake without eating lunch all day
until 3pm arrival at the lake.  We hiked around the lake, caught mountain
trout and everything was great.  The next day we woke to find our tent
covered in snow and it snowed heavily all day so that we only managed a one
and a half hour hike so I turned my basal rate back up to my old rate (.6)
to make up for the lack of exercise, and though I did little but read all
day ( I alway take a paperback in case of a day of forced idleness) my BG
levels were good all day.  The next day it didn't actually snow but it
looked very threatening so we didn't want to stop for lunch as the trail
was trecherous and we wanted to do it in good visibility.  I turned my
basal rate back down to .3 which is half my normal rate.  We climbed two
steep passes and I found I was able to go until we arriuved at the second
lake with good blood sugars although we ate lunch at 3 pm again.  We stayed
at the glorious Lake (Queen Mary in the Royal Group) and caught and
released more trout.  I did go a litle low that night but I feel that was
because I misjudged my meal bolus , not because my basal rate was wrong.
We hiked out the next day (5 and a half hours down hill) with 11 (yes
really 11) stream crossing that necessitated removing your hiking boots,
putting on sneakers and wading the fast moving streams without falling in).
 I now understand why we didn't see anyone else at the lake (but it was
worth every single stream crossing).  As I was going downhill I turned my
basal rate only part way down to .4 and once again I was at a good BG
reading when we ate at 3pm.  Eating lunch at 3 pm was becoming a habit.  We
did some other fairly strenious day hiking for the next three days and in
all cases I found that if I halved my basal rate for a steep climb I could
go without eating until I got to my destination.  I loved the fact that
unexpected events ( like beging snowed in for a day) can be compensated for
easily. I also love being allowed to eat at the most scenic spot e.g. The
Lake of the Hanging Glacier, rather than at a spot dictated to me by my
insulin.   On MDI I found that if I lowered my long acting insulin in
preparation for a hike and then got snowed in I would run very high for
days, or if I left my long acting at the regular rate I had to eat all the
time even when it wasn't safe to do so ( crossing an avalanche slope, etc).
 The pump gives me so much more freedom to react in "real time" .  I was
careful about where I inserted my sils so that my pack didn't press on it,
and took lots of extra supplies.  I never lost a site for any reason, and I
was very comfortable the whole time.  I wore my sportsguard most of the
time and though I have some cuts and bruises from falls I was very
confident that my pump would be ok. I heal but my pump wont. Pumping has
given me back a lot of the freedom I used to have prior to diabetes.  My
husband and I both love it.