Re: [IP] pregnancy healthcare team (really long)

Hey guys...I actually can help with this one! I am currently in the middle
of my 3rd (unplanned) pregnancy with diabetes, the first one with a pump.
Thank GOD I have my pump, because I am expecting twins (that's a whole
nother story LOL). You can expect to be told to have good glycemic control
for at least 6 months (yes, a year if you are having trouble with
unpredictable swings), because it gives the baby the best chance of being
birth defect free. The woman I saw for genetic counseling actually didn't
count my diabetes as a possible cause of birth defects because of my low
A1C (5.2), although I think she's full of beans!

The team consists of an eye doctor (you see them once before the pregnancy,
once right after, and after the pregnancy is over unless you have prior
retinal complications), a good endo, a dietician and a maternal fetal
medicine doc (that's the high risk OB). Sometimes you can get lucky and
find a team that works together, specifically with diabetes in pregnancy
(many women get gestational diabetes so it's become a fairly large
population). I had one for my 2nd daughter, it made it much easier. I would
suggest at the least, making sure all your healthcare team is situated at a
single hospital, because when you go into labor you want that endo to have
hospital privileges, and if you have to go into the hospital for out of
control diabetes you want to be in the maternity unit because it generally
has less germs than the rest of the hospital. I myself never had to be in
the hospital during my pregnancies (yet).

You can expect your insulin intake to double throughout the pregnancy, and
the pump makes it so much easier I cannot even begin to say enough good
things about it! For me, I always knew I was pregnant because my blood
sugars suddenly skyrocketed. They calm down after about 7-8 weeks though,
and then steadily increase as the pregnancy wears on because the placenta
makes you less sensitive to insulin. Blood glucoses are expected to be
below 100 before meals and 150 or lower post-prandial (after meals). Some
physicians expect that post prandial number to be an hour after meals, some
ask for it to be two hours after meals.

I have two (KNOCK ON WOOD PLEASE!!!) very healthy daughters, and so far
have had all good news on my expected twins. I sure do wish I had my
insulin pump for both daughters, I was discouraged from going on the pump
while I was pregnant with the first because I had a very, very careful endo
(he was right, that first month or so is a bit difficult with the pump and
would be very hard when pregnant).

Good luck, both of you! It's a very liberating thing to have a baby when
you are diabetic. I remember that the first thing my mother was told after
she was told about my diabetes when I was 15 is that I would never be able
to bear children, that it would kill me.