From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf Of
Michael
Sent: Saturday, September 04, 1999 4:07 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] weight loss at diagnosis??

> I was just wondering . . .many many people on here describe drastic
> weight losses when diagnosed.

It is very common. Your body is not utilizing the food you eat
because your kidneys are busy pumping excess blood glucose into the
urine. Meanwhile to survive, your body converts fat and muscle into
energy -- basically you slowly starve even though you are eating. At
the same time, since your kidneys are working overtime, you become
dehydrated and loose precious water which also reduces your weight.
If not caught in a reasonable amount of time, the result is DKA which
is usually immediately diagnosed.

Michael