[IP] Scales

> One thing I am always looking for is a good scale.  Trying to find
> an inexpensive 1 gram increment scale is very hard. Is there a link
> to what scales are available and features?  If not, this would be a
> nice addition to your web site.
Hmmm... good idea. I'll query the list membership and develop the

a few notes from threads on the subject from our search engine:

> Thanks to all for the helpful info on food scales.  I settled on an
> inexpensive Ekco (from Walmart) because finances are currently very
For Christmas, I asked
for, (and received!) a digital scale that weighs in ounces or grams,
up to about 6 pounds.  It came from this website:

The most durable and reliable would be a rotary dial food scale
available from most restruant supply firms. Check the yellow pages and
let your fingers do the walking. The scale should be calibrated in
both pounds/oz and grams. They're made by Pelouze
I bought mine from Edmund Scientific.  It cost about $125,
but I'm very happy with it.  It is part # V33-066.

Edmund Scientific
I picked up an inexpensive scale at Lechter's in the mall here in
Syracuse, NY. Just go to any store that sells kitchen wares.
We like the Soehnle scale we got at the Diabetes Mall.

Go to www.diabetesnet.com.
Look in the phone book for 'Resturaunt Supply' they will carry
professional portion scales and such that work well for carb
counting. Usually better than the cheap (quality wise) stuff in
retail stores. Also have a look at the Pelouzie web site, they make
many scales for the food industry. A good mechanical rotary dial scale
will be very satisfactory for $50 to $80. Get the kind with both
lbs/oz and grams
I just picked up a Sunbeam digital scale that also zeros in the
and can read in oz or kg.  I have found it very accurate.  I paid
about $35 and got it at a Kitchen Etc.  Unfortunately they are local
to Massachusetts,
>Hi All:  I weigh my food on a Terraillon scale purchased at a kitchen
>supply store quite a while back.  It takes up hardly any room on the
>kitchen counter and has a platform that you can place a container on
>, then turn on the scale and weigh whatever.  It automatically
>deducts the weight of the container if it is placed on scale before
>pushing 'ON'.  It weighs foods in either ounces or grams - handy.  I
>love the thing!
Another place to get them is office supply stores. I've been using a
battery-operated postage scale for years. It weighs in both systems
and can be set to zero. And unlike some food scales, it's very
sensitive (for short letters, I guess!), so you can weigh two jelly
beans (if you're the masochistic sort).
If you choose to go mechanical, get a Pelouzie from a resturant
supply house. Get one for food measuring with a rotary dial
model A12R  is graduated in grams and ounces to 2 lbs
(900g) and cost about 60 bucks as I recall (4 years ago). If they
don't have that one, get and equavilent. It is very accurate and
repeatable, even with a plate!