Re: [IP] Re: how high of a BG means no exercise?

In a message dated 9/3/99 2:28:08 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<<She thinks he should be allowed to take
gym when his sugars are 200+, up to 300. I told her this is too high,
that when Peter exercises over 180, then his sugars go up even higher.>>

I always used 200 as the limit over which not to exercise.  Most of the time
exercise then probably would bring me lower, but the times when it went up
made me feel so awful that I didn't find it worth the risk.  I think the
difference has to do with how much available insulin I have on board:  now,
if I know the pump is working and figure the high is just from a carb
miscalculation, I go ahead and exercise.  If I bolus to bring it down before
exercising, I use only a fraction of what I would use otherwise (exercise
increases my insulin sensitivity greatly) -- If it's less than 200 I would
not bolus anything.  ...   But my blood sugar so seldom goes up that high
these days after 10 1/2 months on the pump  <vbg>

Linda Zottoli
dx1955 at age 8