[IP] weight loss at diagnosis??

I was just wondering . . .many many people on here describe drastic weight
losses when diagnosed.  I was aware of this symptom before I knew I had
diabetes, and one of the reasons I didn't get myself to a hospital sooner
was that I only lost 5 pounds!! Now, this isn't because I caught it really
early. My A1C was above 16, meaning I had been out of control for at least a
few months.  Is this possible? Has anyone else had this experience or can
anyone give any ideas? thanks,gianna