Re: [IP] job interviews

In a message dated 8/31/99 2:00:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:
<< The question I always struggle with is when to mention the diabetes
 during the interview process.  >>

I'm glad you asked that question.  I had the same question.

I am in the last month of earning my A.S. degree and the class I'm currently
in is called Career Skills.  In this class they teach us how to write a
resume, cover letter, go on job interviews...etc....

I wear a Medic-Alert bracelet for my diabetes.  I asked my instructor what
her opinion was on whether I should remove the bracelet for the job
interview.  Did I want to wear it where the potential employer may notice a
medical condition?  Her reply was ....
"Yes, by all means wear your bracelet to the interview.  If they ask what it
is for, explain that it states that your are diabetic, and explain that the
diabetes is under control and would not affect your job performance."

She asked me......"Would you really WANT to work for an employer who would
discriminate because of the diabetes????"  Good Question.....