[IP] Re: (to Barb S.)

In a message dated 9/30/98 8:01:39 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Right before I eat I count my carbs and do the appropriate amount of bolus
 to cover my meal.  I then proceed to eat.  After 1 1/2 to 2 hours I will
 check my bs - sometimes it is as high as 270.  Sometimes I will freak and do
 more bolus but then several hours later I go low.  Is this normal?  If I
 wait and test my bs 3 hours later it will be going down and eventually be in
 the low 100s >>

Have you noticed if those high readings follow high-protein or high-fat meals?
If so, you may need to extend your insulin for awhile.  You might try using a
square wave or dual wave bolus and see if that helps.  It sounds like your
insulin is peaking before your food.

Good luck!
Mary Jean