Re: [IP] EMT's and Diabetic Care

Yes!  Before we knew what gastropatesis was, during periods where I was having multiple very low bgs, we discovered that even juice can take a while -- as long as 15 or 20 minutes if you've also got more insulin coming.  Glucagon is faster than any of the hundreds of various oral agents I tried but it can also take as long as 10 or 15 minutes before you see real results.  The longest it has ever taken for an iv to work is about 2 1/2 minutes.  Its very fast and much more immediate.  It will also send your Bgs off the top of the charts if they don't take it out about the time you hit 120.

Judy Premerlani wrote:

I will have to disagree with you on this one.  Intravenous glucose IS
the fastest way to treat hypoglycemia.
If glucose is given orally, it must first go into the stomach & be
absorbed thru the gut wall before it enters the bloodstream.
If glucagon is given, it again takes time - the glucagon must be
transported to the liver via the blood stream before the liver becomes
stimulated to release it's stored glucose.
Intranvenous glucose is almost instantaneous.
Yes, people can starve to death over a period of time on intravenous
therapy, but that is due to lack of protein & fats, not glucose

Judy (Elissa's mom)