Re: [IP] EMT's and Diabetic Care

A second for judy's comment, Michael.  IV glucose is the only way to go in
a true emergency (as long as you can find a vein).  It puts glucose
immediately where it needs to be.  Oral glucose is very slow compared to
IV, and glucacon is even slower compared to IV.  Of course you couldn't
live forever on iv glucose, but I think you'd be surprised just how long
you could stay alive--certainly several weeks and maybe months.  But here
we're only talking about an acute emergency situation.

<<<<<<<<From: "Michael" <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IP] EMT's and Diabetic Care

> A friend of mine who is a EMT indicated that when they
> encounter an unconcious diabetic, they do not use glucagon.
> Instead they set up an interveinous glucose drip; contention
> is that it is faster.  Never having used or seen glucagon
> used, I cannot say how fast/slow it is.

It is not faster. The fastest way to get glucose into you body is
orally. Second best is a glucogen injection to get the liver to
release glucose. People actually starve to death slowly when fed
intravenously because you can not get enough energy and nutrients in

Wayne Mitzner
615 N. Wolfe St.
Baltimore, MD 21205
Tel. 410 614 5446