Re: [IP] humalog vs. velosolin

Dante Jacobson wrote:
> I have been on the pump for about 2 and half years now.  this whole time I
> have been on velosolin.  I was told that I needed to be on this insulin
> because of some anti clogging agent that is in it.

That used to be so, but newermaterials used in the infusion hoses has largely
eliminated that problem. I used Velosulin when I started pumping nearly 5 years
ago, but soon changed to Lily R and had no trouble with it. Since then (ewhen it
became available) I started using Humalog.

I hear everyone talking
> about using humalog in their pumps.  what's the difference?

Humalog acts about twice as fast, and finishes twice as fast as R or Velosulin.
Good thing about that is that it matches the digestive cycle much better for
most people eating fair amounts of carbohydrates, and doesn't have a "tail"
of action sometime before the next meal, which often results in eating snacks
to use up the insulin.

Also, Humalog is taken much closer to a meal whcih can be very convenient in
sitautions. Myself I bolus at the beginning of a meal if in normal range on
my pre-meal test, during or after the meal if low, or som several minutes
before if high. It's a LOT slicker and better working than bolusing and waiting
30 minutes, then eating again in 2 or 3 hours....

Incidentally, Humalog can be troublesome in some situations. I've had it go bad
in the syringe from heat buildup. After 2.5 days it started losing
Others find the infusion site fails at about that time. Anyway, the best answer
we've found it to mix Humalog with R or V in a 5 to 1 (perhaps 4 or 3 to 1, fit
YOU) to keep it stable for a longer period of time. Seems to work better that

Ted Quick
email @ redacted
Type 1 for 42 years, MM506 for 4.8 years