Re: [IP] EMT's and Diabetic Care

On 29 Sep 98 at 10:24, email @ redacted wrote:

> I am also glad to hear what you said about not being licensed to give the
> Glucagon because my school has elected to just wait for the EMT's to arrive in
> case Laura would ever need Glucagon.  The school will not take responsibility
> for this.   This is something I also need to investigate as we would be in a
> mess if the school just "assumed" that the EMT's would take care of the
> problem with Glucagon.

Anyone who is not an EMT or nurse can give it and generally be covered against
liability by the "hold harmless" or "Good Samaritan" laws in most states.  The
"medical professional" is limited by their licensure from doing many things
that the unlicensed person can do under the scope of rendering aid with good

> Once again thank you for letting letting us know that not everyone can give
> Glucagon.  I know at school we all just assumed that the EMT's were trained to
> give it and would take care of the situation.  Just when you think you have
> covered all your bases . . .

That's the problem - everyone except EMS and ER responders can give it.  It's
the people that we assume could give it that are generally forbidden to...  and
it's not really a medical question as much as a liablility issue...

Randall P. Winchester
* misunderstood something.