Re: [IP] EMT's and Diabetic Care

When Spencer first went on the pump someone in this group suggested
that I should let the EMTs see it and find out what they new about it.
Spencer and I did just that, good thing too.  They had no idea what one
was, how it worked or what to do with it.  Spencer and I did our little
show and tell thing and then they asked some very good questions.  I
told them over and over to NEVER remove the pump (as it could get broken
or misplaced).  I then asked what they do when responding to a known
diabetic, here is what they told me.  1. they check their blood with a
glucose strip and compare it to the side of the strip container. 2. they
start an IV drip and run glucose. They are NEVER allowed to give
insulin.  They don't even carry it.   One of the EMTs was nice enough to
come talk to our support group and suggested that we fill out a parental
consent form and leave it at the hospital in the event that they were
unable to get a hold of us in an emergency.  On this too I wrote NEVER
REMOVE THE PUMP.  I suggest to everyone that they find out what their
local EMTs do with a diabetic emergency and introduce them to the pump.

Lisa D. (Spencer's Mom)