Re: [IP] EMT's and Diabetic Care

Hi everyone,

After listening to the discussion here on ID bracelets I decided to ask an
acquaintence  (who is also is an EMT) what he looked for when he found someone
unconscious.  He first talked about how they would first do the ABC's etc. and
then said he would eventually find the bracelet or necklace while doing an
examination.  This answer was fine.

THEN I explained to him the reason I was asking was because that Laura was
diagnosed this past winter with Type 1.  He did he see any reason to put
"insulin pump" on her ID bracelet.  His reason being "because if they found
someone unconscious with a diabetic ID bracelet on they would immediately GIVE
them insulin to correct the situation so for me not to worry because my child
WOULD be given insulin."  I know he was trying to be reasurring and helpful
but by this point I could hardly respond.  I said no Glucagon or a blood sugar
check?  He looked at me totally blank.

Hopefully this is not a typical response for most EMT's.  This one in
particular just sent shivers down my back . . .