Re: [IP] Messing Up!

Hi Wendy,

That is one of those "been there too" moments!  I wouldn't advise this but I
have sometimes, in those emergencies, used the remaining units in the tubing to
get me home again where I can change.  The tubing set holds 40 units for the
long one and 20 (something) for the small one so you have to make sure you don't
bolus any more than that.  Like you, I only fill up 200 units at a time and if
and when I run out (before the tubing/infusion set, I just add a new syringe.
Usually the tubing/infusion set  is up at about the same time.

Here's the emergency procedure (not to be used in less than emergencies of
Unscrew the syringe from the tubing and, being careful to keep both open ends
from touching anything, pull back the syringe and fill it with 50-100 units of
air.  Screw the syring back into the tubing, replace the set in your pump.  If
you have a minimed, bolus 3.5 units (I don't know diesetronic #s same idea
though).  3.0 units hook the pump lever against the back of the syringe so you
are pushing the syringe and not the air.  The .5 pushes it forward enough to
fill the space with pressure to push the insulin in the tubing forward.  If you
need insulin too, then go ahead and bolus your dose.  I guess I should admit
that I learned this years ago as a teenager when admitting that I had forgotten
or run out of insulin to family or friends would have gotten me in big trouble.
Sometimes it is very nice to be grown up!

The other solution is to carry a regular syringe.  I've had only some success at
this one with the sofsets, but the point is to draw the insulin out of the
tubing and inject it directly.  You can also walk around with a bottle of
insulin and a syringe.  I've usually found that this works during a period of
bad pump days/ infusion site days etc but that I tend to take about 6 months to
use 50 units of insulin by which time the insulin is pretty messed up from being
unrefridgerated and in the hot car so long.  Humalog seems to last less long
this way although it is great to actually have with you since it brings high bgs
down so fast.

Hope that helps a little.