Re: [IP] Messing Up!

A couple suggestions:

1)  I never relied too heavily on the pump's "insulin remaining" gauge to
guide me. This was true with my previous pump as well as my current
Disetronic. I have a pretty good "feel", based on looking at the cartridge,
how much fuel I've got left. I wouldn't bet the house on it, but I'm
generally close enough.
2)  When I leave home with a low cartridge - for work, socializing, or
anything that will take me away for awhile, I bring along a pre filled
cartridge. I can then change in a few minutes, if I run out of insulin.
Another alternative, but maybe less desirable, is to bring along a syringe
and bottle of insulin, just in case. I don't do this anymore, but did a lot
during my first year of pumping (I had been trained this way).
3)  It's possible to change the cartridge *without* changing the infusion
set. Clamping off the tubing while you change cartridges is the trick here.
I did that just the other morning, because my cartridge was close to empty,
yet my infusion set was only one day old. I didn't want to wait for the
cartridge to get too low, so I changed.
4)  I don't run my pump on fumes <vbg>. I know many folks that wait until
there's nothing left in their pump but vapors, then they change. I've never
been able to do that, since my schedule and insulin needs vary drastically
at times. If I end up "throwing away" a little bit, I don't worry too much.
For those with different or no insurance plans, this is sure to be a
different issue.

>only one that uses the Contact? I find it no problem to were at all. My only
>problem is with the amount of insulin. BUT..............the really huge
>trouble with doing it this way is that when the insulin gets too low I don't
>receive low insulin alarms or anything. And believe it or not I have

I'm not familiar with the "Contact" set. I think you are in Canada, judging
from the way you measure your BG. Are these the same as the "Rapids" in the
US? The Rapid has a small circular tape / plastic base that holds a metal
needle that's inserted at a 90 degree angle. They don't require any
additional taping, and come in various needle lengths. I use these sets and
they work fine with my cartridge change schedule (basically, whenever I
need to change cartridges, I do. Not too scientific).

Sometimes when the insulin gets "reaallllllll" low, like almost none left,
you'll get air in the tubing (happens with any pump). The "No Delivery" or
"Occlusion" alarms are not that sensitive to something like this. Instead
of the steady drip of insulin, you end up with a sporadic "pffftttt,
pffftttt, gurgle, gurgle" of air ;-( Not helpful for your BGs. Not a total
disaster, as long as you recognize what the problem is, and fix it.

>actually FORGOTTEN to check the remaining amount once! That resulted in my
>husband and I having to turn around from where we were heading to go home

Been there, done that. Fortunately, I wasn't driving anywhere, just trying
to sleep at 2:00 a.m. I had my insulin cartridge pre filled and waiting on
my dresser, since I knew I would be changing sometime the following day, so
it was fairly quick and easy to deal with. Leaving the cartridge ready and
waiting is a habit for me now.

These things should eventually work out well. Practice makes perfect, to
use a cliche. Seems like the smaller details drove me nuts in the
beginning, then eventually didn't bother me as much.

Hope your daughter's feeling better ;-)