To: Insulin Pumpers
From: email @ redacted on 25, Sep 1998 11:55 AM
Subject: [IP] near miss
RFC Header:Received: by omnibus.ce.psu.edu with SMTP;25 Sep 1998 11:37:37
To: "Insulin Pumpers" <email @ redacted>
From: "Nancy Ludwig" <email @ redacted>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 98 10:14:02 PDT
Sender: email @ redacted
Hello pumping buddies,
I just got home from a very interesting trip.  I went on a whim to see my
parents, three hours away, and went INTO LABOR ON THE WAY!!! I am due Dec 11.
I spend one hour at their home and then was admitted for a FIVE DAY stay at
the local hospital.

The hospital is VERY small, free parking, one OBGYN for the whole hosptial,
but very good food.  :-)   One night my site went bad and the OBGYN came in
and said that he was taking the pump away from me.  He said I had DKA which
he had concluded from a urine sample.  Let's just say my back got a little
stiff.  My Ha1c last year was 8.8 and now it is 6.1   I DID NOT WANT TO GET

He said this, "since I was on all the meds to stop the labor which raised my
sugar, since I was not as active, and since I was not eating on schedule , the
pump was obviously not working for me."   Duh!!!   I don't have to eat on
schedule anymore, and I simply up my basal to compensate for the lack of
activity and the meds.  He did not even understand that I needed to bolus for
every meal I ate.   He thought the pump did that on it's own.

  I questioned him on these points and he said that he had awards in DM care.
Come to find out he is 47 years old and his last experience was at a DM camp
when he interned, nearly 20 years ago!!!!   AGHHHHH!!!!   I called my Endo in
a heartbeat and he wanted to know if they had drawn for electrolytes.  This is
one way  that you can tell if you have DKA. Not through just a urine sample.

The good ol' doctor had not done this and I told him he had to speak with my
endo before I would take my pump off.  He came back later and said that I
could keep it, but that he was in charge of it.  Every time I touched it I had
to tell him about it. (sshhh, I kept on doing what my Endo told me to  do, but
let the OBGYN doctor think I was doing what he told me to do)  :-)  Got a
little confusing, but he never caught on.

Needless to say, my new site was a good one, my sugars were coming down from
the 250 that they were at, other than the stress I was under afraid for our
baby coming out and than this ninny telling me he knew more about the
pump...my sugars came down and I kept the pump.

ALL THIS TO say, fight for what you beleive in, especially for things
concering your health.

The babe and I are fine, she is still in the "oven" and I am home.  And I'm
very happy to be back where my doctors are.  I hope to never see that man

Thanks for listening,