[IP] Yale's response to Alicemae

No offense meant, Yale, but responses like this from doctors helped keep me
in denial for years.  I had my pump for 10 years before I did more than a
couple of blood sugars a month.  I have never been hospitalized for
diabetes related problems since the pump and am pretty much complication
free (so far).  I am not advocating this approach for others, because I
definitely feel much better now that I am in better control, but that's how
it happened for me.

Sometimes we have to do what we can and hope to be able to get better at
dealing with things instead of beating the heck out of ourselves.  This may
mean starting small and not trying to go from eating whatever/no blood
sugars to 6-8 blood sugars/perfect diet the next day or week - a recipe for
disaster and guilt if I ever saw one.  The ideal world and the real world
can be really far apart.  The threats of complications often send people
into avoiding the whole issue, instead of dealing with it.

That's my .02 (in US funds, of course)

type 1, 19 years
pump, 13.5 years

Yale wrote:
>Alicemae your husband has to realize he has the seed and if he continues to
>fertilize it the wrong way, the pump will not make the body any healthier.  If
>he commits to the pump, he must commit to the proper diet, exercise, and
>multiple glucometer (6 to 8 or more) readings a day.  Otherwise he should just
>continue to play Russian roulette and his winnings will be the complications
>that can ensue:
>a.  potential blindness
>b.  potential heart attack &/or stroke
>c.  potential kidney failure and dialysis
>d.  peripheral neuropathy
>e.  peripheral vascular ischemia with leg ulcers, infections, and amputation
>from the toes on up.
>Sorry for being so blunt,  but I hope this will make him opt for better
>control and a
>Glycosolated hemoglobin (A1c) better than 7, for  a start.
>Yale (MD)

Vancouver, BC, Canada
email @ redacted          http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/mappa_mundi/