Re: [IP] EMLA Cream - beginning pumper

<< Our daughter's insulin pump will be
 arriving tomorrow and we will go in for training soon. >>

Congratulations to you and to Laura!  I know how excited you must be.
<< Right now Laura is so excited about her new cool blue pump I want her to
 that way and not get discouraged during the training period.  Currently, she
 takes her Humalog injections with little or no complaints.  Can anyone tell
 if inserting the Tenders are anymore painful than a typical injection with a
 30 guage short needle?  >>

Sometimes, it does hurt more.  The skin on the abdomen is more sensitive than
the thighs, where I used to give my injections.  One thing to keep in mind, is
that moving just a quarter of an inch can take you away from a painful area to
a relatively painless one.  Those nerve endings don't seem to be consistent.
That's why my pump trainer recommended cleaning an area about the size of a
tennis ball; that way, if I hit one of "those" spots, I can just move a little
bit and find a more comfortable place.

If Laura isn't already doing her injections in her abdomen, I would advise
that she start now, to get used to how it feels to poke her belly.  Once she
gets over the first one, it will be a lot easier for her.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Mary Jean