Re: Re: [IP] fat

Now Ruth, don't get me started on exercise :-)  After so many puzzles
regarding what it did to me, I went to the library and got a bunch of
journal articles on exercise and metabolism in diabetics.  All that did was
get me more confused, since everybody seems to find something a little
different.  But with our fat discussion we were I assumed we were talking
about sitting and eating fat, not with exercise.  But even with some
exercise, you've got to do more than taking a walk to use up the sugar
stores and begin to burn the fat.  When you use fat for energy, it
definitely does NOT mean that it gets converted to glucose.  That is
chemically not possible.  The body's cells use a breakdown product of fat
stores,  called free fatty acids (FFA) for energy.  BG won't rise much, and
could even fall since as you mention, the GI carbo uptake might be slowed.
That actually give some pumpers hypos if they have done just one big bolus.
Sigh.....I wish I were like Bob and could just ignore the protein like I do
the fat :-)

<From: Ruth Elowitz <email @ redacted>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Well, I just looked it up.  Here's what John Walsh and Ruth
Roberts say in Stop
The Rollercoaster:"Fat in the diet can also affect blood sugar control. On
the one
hand, fat delays the intestinal absorption of carbohydrate and can reduce the
expected rise in blood sugars after a meal."

"Body fat [what they said earlier is what happens to stored fat you eat]
acts as
the second source of fuel. "  Interestingly, this comes up in the section on
exercise where they say that:  "With moderate exercise, about an hour passes
before the same drop in the blood insulin level is seen.  This drop in the
level allows internal stores of glucose and fat to be released.  It also allows
the body to switch to fat as the primary fuel, instead of depending on the much
smaller supplies of glucose"  Not sure, but I think this switch means that the
stored fat is converted to glucose which has to be absorbed from the blood
using insulin.

At any rate, even the first 2 effects above, if they have been calculated into
your basal rates at one level, will cause your bg to go up or down if you
eat less
or more fat (obviously in more than small quantities).

Guess there is a "scientific" explanation.