Re: [IP] fat

                              - - Answer - -
         September 17, 1998   10:52am   MAIL IS -
   FROM: Gloria Ross, M.D.               Private
     TO: Bob Burnett
SUBJECT: Re:  [IP] fat

I like your attitude and thanks for the reassurance that things differ for all
of us.

                               - - Mail - -
         September 17, 1998    9:18am   MAIL IS -
   FROM: Bob Burnett                     Private
     TO: GLORIAR
SUBJECT: Re:  [IP] fat

Re: boluses for fat and protein:

Most of my pumping literature and "general" diabetes management literature is
inconclusive on how the metabolizing of fats and proteins impact BG levels. At
best, there is no clear consensus in my information on how and when these
things will affect my blood glucose. At worst, the information seems to be at
polar extremes - one source says "Don't worry about proteins and fats
affecting your blood glucose", the other source says "Proteins and fats *will*
affect your blood glucose. You *may* need to take this into account. Foods
high in fats and / or proteins may raise your blood glucose levels 8 to 24
hours later".

So, here's what I do:

I don't worry about them.

My doc actually talked me into this when I was attempting to "fine tune myself
crazy". Basically, the advice I was given is that each of us metabolizes these
things differently (as each of us does with carbs). Since the effect of
protein and fat varies with the user, as well as over time,
and is the least likely to have a profound effect on blood glucose levels,
we decided I was trying to control something that was elusive at best. Now,
I just understand that meals high in fat and / or protein may affect my BG
some hours later. I try not to be surprised when this happens, and try to
understand that *my* overall diet is pretty well balanced anyway. I've learned
to "relax" a bit. It doesn't seem to have affected my overall control and my
A1c levels are fine. Of course, YMMV.

I am miffed, though, that since adopting this relaxed, kicked back attitude,
my local grocer has stopped stocking Hagen Das (sp?) ice cream sandwiches.
Perhaps that's some kind of "poetic justice" <vbg>

Bob Burnett
mailto:email @ redacted
website http://www.bizsystems.com/Diabetes/