Re: [IP] fat

email @ redacted wrote:

Wayne and ruth have been going back and forth on the fat issue:

then Ruth wrote back:

> Actually, I think that isn't true although I thought it was for many years.
> Apparantly fat content does take insulin when it is released in the
> blood stream, it is just so slow acting that fast insulin is not supposed
> to cover it.   Your basal rate absorbs it (provided your basal rates are
> right and your fat intake doesn't vary too much).  If you actually ate
> that tub of butter (yuck!) in addition to what you usually eat and didn't
> compensate with extra boluses, your bg would be elevated somewhere
> between 4 and 24 hours later for a period of time.

Sara nWrote
I have to agree with Ruth, although Wayne certainly seems to have the science
back up...have any of you ever eaten ben and jerry's?  This is one of the
highest fat ice creams available.  It is about as close to eating a tub of
butter as I am willing to go.  I will cover for all the carbs listed on the
package, then put in a temp basal for 3-4 hours to cover those carbs that are
slowed down by the fat and then in 6-7 hours will inevitably have to cover for
another high from the fat.

When I first went on the pump, I used to eat peanuts like mad, cuz I didnt
have to take insulin for them, per my doctor...then couldn't figure out why my
sugars were so high 6-10 hours later...

Maybe fat isn't directly utilized by insulin, but SOMEthing is!!

Well, I just looked it up.  Here's what John Walsh and Ruth Roberts say in Stop The Rollercoaster:"Fat in the diet can also affect blood sugar control. On the one hand, fat delays the intestinal absorption of carbohydrate and can reduce the expected rise in blood sugars after a meal."

"Body fat [what they said earlier is what happens to stored fat you eat] acts as the second source of fuel. "  Interestingly, this comes up in the section on exercise where they say that:  "With moderate exercise, about an hour passes before the same drop in the blood insulin level is seen.  This drop in the insulin level allows internal stores of glucose and fat to be released.  It also allows the body to switch to fat as the primary fuel, instead of depending on the much smaller supplies of glucose"  Not sure, but I think this switch means that the stored fat is converted to glucose which has to be absorbed from the blood stream using insulin.

At any rate, even the first 2 effects above, if they have been calculated into your basal rates at one level, will cause your bg to go up or down if you eat less or more fat (obviously in more than small quantities).

Guess there is a "scientific" explanation.