[IP] fat

Wayne and ruth have been going back and forth on the fat issue:

then Ruth wrote back:

> Actually, I think that isn't true although I thought it was for many years.
> Apparantly fat content does take insulin when it is released in the
> blood stream, it is just so slow acting that fast insulin is not supposed
> to cover it.   Your basal rate absorbs it (provided your basal rates are
> right and your fat intake doesn't vary too much).  If you actually ate
> that tub of butter (yuck!) in addition to what you usually eat and didn't
> compensate with extra boluses, your bg would be elevated somewhere
> between 4 and 24 hours later for a period of time.

I have to agree with Ruth, although Wayne certainly seems to have the science
back up...have any of you ever eaten ben and jerry's?  This is one of the
highest fat ice creams available.  It is about as close to eating a tub of
butter as I am willing to go.  I will cover for all the carbs listed on the
package, then put in a temp basal for 3-4 hours to cover those carbs that are
slowed down by the fat and then in 6-7 hours will inevitably have to cover for
another high from the fat.

When I first went on the pump, I used to eat peanuts like mad, cuz I didnt
have to take insulin for them, per my doctor...then couldn't figure out why my
sugars were so high 6-10 hours later...

Maybe fat isn't directly utilized by insulin, but SOMEthing is!!

Sara (who is trying to stick to slightly frozen Dannon yogurt instead of Ben
and Jerry's - and finding it NOT quite the same)