Re: [IP] Re: carb counting

Ruth, I don't know where you found this idea that fat metabolism from the
blood requires insulin, but it is not in any of the textbooks or medical
literature I could find.  And once insulin is actually in the blood, ALL
insulin works at the same rate (even H).  I think that it is the protein
that often causes problems, and it is probably more common than what most
think.  My endo says that almost everyone requires at least .3 U per oz of
protein (I require 1U/oz), and this will be needed much later after eating
than the insulin needed for carbo.

<<<<<<From: Ruth Elowitz <email @ redacted>

> Ruth, the fat may add slower food value, but no insulin is required for fat
> metabolism.  Fat may slow the absorption of the carbos from the GI tract,
> but if you ate a tub of butter, you would need any additional insulin
> (maybe some digel, but no insulin :-).

Actually, I think that isn't true although I thought it was for many years.
Apparantly fat content does take insulin when it is released in the blood
it is just so slow acting that fast insulin is not supposed to cover it.   Your
basal rate absorbs it (provided your basal rates are right and your fat intake
doesn't vary too much).  If you actually ate that tub of butter (yuck!) in
addition to what you usually eat and didn't compensate with extra boluses,
your bg
would be elevated somewhere between 4 and 24 hours later for a period of time.
(The variations in digestion time here make the actual time frame hard to pin
down).   Digel, of course, would be helpful too.  In addition, there are even
people who need insulin to cover protein but I think John Walsh writes that
are pretty rare.>>>>>>>>