[IP] Plugging up the quick disconnect on the Comfort, Silohette, Tender infusion set

A couple of times while at the gym, I took off the pump to shower and
realized I didn't have that little plug with me.   Does anyone know what the
plug actually does?  Does it simply prevent the exposed openings from having
direct contact with other objects, or is it water tight, or is it air tight?
And what happens if I quick disconnect without it?  Even for twenty minutes,
if I inist on taking it off, am I better off removing the whole thing and
using a new infusion set afterward, or is it no big deal?