Re: [IP] U100 pump question

John wrote:

> One motor click of the Minimed pump motor delivers 0.001 millilitres of
> fluid. Whatever fluid is loaded into the pump cartridge. If that fluid
> is U100 insulin, that is 0.1 units (100 x 0.001). If that fluid is U50
> insulin, it is 0.05 units (50 x 0.001).
> If you put U100 insulin in the cartridge, and tell the pump it is U50,
> then a programmed basal rate of 0.1 units per hour will make the pump do
> 2 clicks per hour (2 x 0.05 = 0.1), but in fact Kayla will get 0.2 units
> of insulin (2 x 0.1 = 0.2) Hypoland here we come!

Thank you!  You were able to put into words what I was thinking would
happen but couldn't piece together.  I, too, thought it would end up
delivering twice the dose, but I couldn't figure out why I thought
that.  And Hypoland is exactly where Kayla went today when we tried it.
47 at breakfast, 105 at lunch (after 2 glucose tabs!), and 47 after

> One word of caution: Humalog CANNOT be diluted with water or saline
> solution. It will rapidly become unstable. The concentration of various
> chemicals in the solution is absolutely critical, and must not be
> altered. It was also suggested once that the NPH soluent will work with
> Humalog. This is also WRONG. It causes the Humalog to turn to jelly...

I called Lilly today to ask if there was a diluant for Humalog, but they
wouldn't tell me.  They'd be happy to talk to Kayla's endo though.
Geez, what a helpful bunch of people!

Thanks again, John.