Re: [IP] Computing chess and diabetes control

>     On Sun, 13 Sep 1998 Sam Skopp <email @ redacted> wrote on the year
>     >Ha!! It's just fooling you into thinking that its thinking... In
>     >chess it's just referring to a huge database of rules, possible
>     >and past games.
>     >As long as the basic rules of the game don't change, it will make
>     >every logical decision based on the defined list of algorithms that

>     >were programmed into it. You are actually playing against many of
>     >chess masters of the past. All of their decisions have been
>     >pre-programmed into the thing.
>     That's why having a computer trying to figure out diabetes management

>     is so much fun: the computer is working with a completely logical set

>     of rules about a non-logical system (unless of course one wants to
>     make the assertion that a person has a thoroughly logical day and
>     he/she never has anything outside of 'standard normal procedure'
>     happen; in which case I very much want to patent the process and use

>     it myself)

Since I tend to be pretty much totally irrational most of the day, no
computer could possibly keep up. <g> I would be a good example of chaos
theory in action. In fact the logo on my computer is "Chaos Systems".

Maybe the binary system is the problem. Humans deal with data by making
random associations between previously unrelated data and fitting that into
some sort of previously known construct... not based on a series of yes/no
answers. Anyone who's seen program code knows that it works on limited
assumptions that the programmer has inserted. If X is true do Y, if X is
false do Z.  So what happens if none of those conditions exist? The
computer does the wrong thing, freezes, or goes into a endless loop. It
can't make new assumptions based on changing conditions.

I work on computers all day and when I hit problems (constantly) its always
a challenge to "think dumb" so that I can figure out why it did what it
did. Humans easily make assumptions and leap to conclusions based on
limited information. Computers can't do that.

(We may not have artificial intelligence, but there is plenty of evidence
of natural stupidity)