Re: [IP] U100 pump question

> Her doc said the MiniMed rep that serves him suggested 'tricking' the
> pump for the kids with small basal rates.  Reprogram the pump to the U50
> setting and instead of getting .1 unit once an hour, it will give .05
> units twice an hour (and .05 4 times an hour for the .2 basal rate).

The Minimed rep is talking out of his bottom! And your doc (if he has
two connected brain cells) should have told him so. At risk of offending
the ladies here, I am assuming they are both men.

One motor click of the Minimed pump motor delivers 0.001 millilitres of
fluid. Whatever fluid is loaded into the pump cartridge. If that fluid
is U100 insulin, that is 0.1 units (100 x 0.001). If that fluid is U50
insulin, it is 0.05 units (50 x 0.001).

If you put U100 insulin in the cartridge, and tell the pump it is U50,
then a programmed basal rate of 0.1 units per hour will make the pump do
2 clicks per hour (2 x 0.05 = 0.1), but in fact Kayla will get 0.2 units
of insulin (2 x 0.1 = 0.2) Hypoland here we come!

Now that so many young children are pumping Humalog, you (and your
doctor) should be agressively petitioning Lilly to bring out a U50
version of Humalog. There are technical problems here, due to Humalog's
instability, but they can be overcome if there is sufficient demand for
the product.

One word of caution: Humalog CANNOT be diluted with water or saline
solution. It will rapidly become unstable. The concentration of various
chemicals in the solution is absolutely critical, and must not be
altered. It was also suggested once that the NPH soluent will work with
Humalog. This is also WRONG. It causes the Humalog to turn to jelly...

mailto:email @ redacted