Ellen wrote:

>Recently many parents have complained to me about the fact that on the
>Humalog, site changes have to be much more frequent then they were while
>Velosulin or Humulin R.  We haven't figured out if it's due to lower basal
>rates that cause the clogs in the Tender/ComfortDisconnect/Silouettes.

I'm not certain there is a clear "villain" to focus on here. Some of us
have had problems with all types of infusion sets. There have been widely
varying reports on "temperature fragility" of Humalog, no clear consensus
on how long a pumper can use this insulin before developing problems with
it (total time of usage, as in months / years), and differing opinions on
whether many of the problems are clearly related to basal rates. It seems
like a big part of the problem for Lilly, Disetronic, MiniMed and Maersk
(manufacturer of the Tender / Comforts / Silhouettes) seems to be the
inability to clearly identify the issues. This list has certainly
experienced the difficulties in trying to summarize Humalog issues and
tricks for dealing with them. It's virtually impossible to write a FAQ on
Humalog, since there are more questions than answers.

>This IP list is 500 strong.  We have a voice.  I for one will call Eli Lilly
>today and voice a request that some buffering agent be investigated to make
>the Humalog not clog at low basal rates and to last longer even in the
heat of
>warm weather.  Will you join me in this calling campaign?  1-888-88Lilly.

We are 500 strong, but we are still a small portion of the total pumping
population. I see some additional challenges in this fact - How can we get
these companies to focus on *us*, recognizing the fact that we have a high
level of motivation, experience and first hand knowledge of the challenges
presented here, perhaps to a higher degree than the general pumping
population? How do we get the companies to cooperate with each other in
solving this particular dilemma? (that's probably not possible, but
necessary, and therefore worth asking). How do we invite the companies to
join us on our list, listen to what we have to say, yet *compel* them to
give back some of what they've learned here? We don't need them sucking us
dry for information, then not giving back anything of real use (if any
vendors are listening, please make note of this comment, thank you ;-))

I've called Lilly's pharmacists close to a dozen times. They sound like
they take good notes, but we never hear back from them. I think we are
going to have to "demand" that they tell *us* what they need to know to
solve the issues, rather than the typical "uh huh, then what happened
next?" type of conversation. We might be surprised by how much they don't
yet know ...

I'll call again, but how I wish they would open up some ...

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted