[IP] Re: carb counting

 Carb counting is usefull only to get people started.   If you  don't
figure the protein, too, you'll never get it right.   One of my favorites
is the McD's quarter pounder, which as a bun with 24 g of carbo.  If you
just bolus for that (about 1.5 U for me) your BG is certain to shoot the
moon.   I ususlly need 4 - 5 u to cover this burger.  I just know this,
and most other things I eat I usually have learned that I will need so much
insulin (even pizza-its the protein in the chees that does it there even if
you've figured in the new deep dish heavy crust).  Fortunately we all tend
to eat pretty much the same things each day, so figuring becomes
instictive.   I always tend underestimate the requirements in new and
exciting foods.

<<<<<<<From: Ruth Elowitz <email @ redacted>

> Got my HbA1c through today. 5.7% (normal range 4.3%-6.1%), so I'm happy,
> given that I don't carb count precisely but just do everything by feel
> and instinct. I suppose that's what you learn after 21 years. Do others
> do this? I couldn't tell you how much carb is in a meal, but put it in
> front of me, and I'll tell you how much insulin I need to cover it.
> John

Yes, I've been afraid to admit this.  In fact, when I am too precise about
I mess everything up big time!  :-)

Wayne Mitzner
615 N. Wolfe St.
Baltimore, MD 21205