Re: [IP] How long........

William asked:
>I'd like to know from you pumpers out there......how long you leave
>your sets in??

The amount of time each person gets out of a set really seems to vary.  I
use Humulin R insulin (Regular) and Sof-sets and usually get at least 6
days between changes, generally more.  Some sites are shorter but that is
rare.  I have been doing this for the past 13 years and have only had a
couple of infections, which were sore and itchy but I ignored them.  If it
gets sore, red, itchy or my blood sugar does something unexplained, I
immediately change the site.

You need to sort of experiment with what works for you.  Watch the warning
signs and test you blood sugars regularly and you will soon get a sense of
what your range.

>Also I get a bit sore about 5cm away from the site. Is this a normal

I used to get sore close to the site, sometimes with raw spots or itchy
places.  Now I put a layer of different tape down first and that has solved
the problem for me, because I am allergic to the tape that used to come
with the sets.  You may find that you also need to try different tape,
preps or whatever you are using just in case this is a problem for you too.

I hope this helps a bit and good luck!

type 1, 19 years
pump, almost 14 years

Vancouver, BC, Canada