Re: [IP] Re:What is mmol?????

>Heather & Diane:
>           Hopefully, I can answer your question. O.K.-here it
>mmol/L is millimoles/liter, and it is the world standard unit for
>measuring glucose in blood.
>Specifically, it is the designated SI (system international) unit.
>"World standard",  means that mmol/L is used everywhere in the world
>except in the USA.
>To convert mmol/ to mg/dl (of glucose), multiply by 18.
>To convert mg/dl to mmol/l (of glucose), divide by 18 or multiply by

A mol represents the number of molecules present.  I believe (& I'm rusty
on my chemistry) that a mol = 6.02 X 10^23 molecules.  So, a mmol = 6.02 X
10^20 molecules.  IN bg measurement, a reading of 6 mmol/l would mean that
one had about 3600000000000000000000 molecules of glucose in each litre of

I think I remember this correctly - correct me if I'm wrong.

Darrin Parker
email @ redacted   Nova Scotia, Canada!

Check out:  http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4750/intro.htm  and go
FORWARD to "The Article".