Re: [IP] Disetronic Pumps

<<<Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 03:31:47 +0000
From: Timothy Tobais <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IP] Disetronic Pumps

<<<I have never seen a disotronic pump, but have just
purchased a minimed
507C.  Some things do concern me: for instance:
All the disotronic people brag that the thing is water
proof. GREAT! if
you live in the water. I don't. I do swim, shower, but heck;
if your
gonna swim, disconect with the soft set quick release and go
And what is this about a back up pump. Dang, if a company
gave me a back
up car; I would be concerned about the quality of the car.
As well, I
hear a lot of "when I had to send my defective pump back...I
had my
backup". Folks, that kind of talk offers me no comfort at
all. Only
thing it assures me of is the number of problems with a
disetronic must
be far greater than with a minimed. >>>

The second pump is their European policy.  It has nothing to
do with reliability.

<<<24 basil rates...I use 5 and to me
that is enough. The software on the minimed is soooooo easy
use.....so simple, a child can achieve excellent controle.

Anyone can become familiar with either pump.

<<<The minimed had 85% of the market in America. This in
addition that not only do you
have a square wave bolus option, but the dual wave is highly
for heavy meat and pizza party meals. As well, the minimed
has so many
safety features that I just do not hear the disetronic folks
speak of. >>>

Considering the history of pumps (as I've been told), fairly
high mechanical problems, the two remaining companies are
both pretty good.

am not dogging the disetronic, but, to me it seems to be
(and I have
visited the disetronic web page and done some research) a
between a quality. >>>

Interestingly, I looked, felt and touched both pumps and I
felt that the Disetronic was much better made.  It felt more
rugged; specifically, the door on the cartridge chamber made
me think it would be too easy to break.  The other thing to
keep in mind is that insulin pumps (either pump) is a
mechanical devise.  To presume that it won't break is
foolhardy.  There may be those who never experience that
failure, but they are likely in the minority.

<<<One more thing about the mini med (and I want to hear
from the disetronic people too), the Minimed has the future
ability to
plug into your computer, along with your meter. Although
this is not yet
available, when it is just imagine the better control,
something we all
should be striving for. I  do not want a war with disetronic
but, I want to hear some more possitive features besides

I too am not too excited about the upcoming MiniMed system
of integrating their continuous blood meter with their
pump.  Until a faster delivery system (into the bloodstream)
is developed, the control issues with continuous
meters/pumps are going to be problematic.  It will be
interesting to see how the MM system handles these issues.
The Disetronic system of improved delivery (into the liver
cavity directly) seems to me to be more likely for sooner

<<<Thanks for letting me share

Tim T.>>>

Bottom line is that either pump is worthwile.  The ultimate
decision is one of which of the slightly different features
better fit any particular individual's lifestyle.

My soapbox: I'm tired of hearing people saying that the
"second Disetronic pump must mean that it's unreliable."
Tim, if you've never seen a Disetronic pump, you're basing
your opinions on, at best, second hand information.