[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V2 #519

Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 22:20:06 EDT
From: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Disetronic Pump

Has anyone here had experience of needing to use the back-up pump supplied
Disetronic?  I understand that DIsetronis pumps are sold as a unit of 2 but
there a cost difference for this second pump that would be difficult to
rationalize to an insurance company?  My Minimed 506 is reaching the end of
it's life span and I am considering replacement options.

When I first got my Disetronic, they told me that the contract with my
insurance company did not include the second pump, so I would only get the
first pump.  However, if I wanted, they said, they would be glad to send me
a re-conditioned older model that I could use as a second pump in an
emergency.  I said that would be great, and they did with no problem.

But then.......there was a programming issue with my pump, and they needed
to make a change with both my new pump and the re-conditioned one.  In the
process, they replaced the re-conditioned one with a new one, and said that
Disetronic had changed their policy, and provided a second new pump

So, I think the bottom line is (but I'm not sure) is that the cost of the
two Disetronic pumps is about the same as for one Minimed.  Otherwise, I
have no doubt my insurance company would have insisted on the Minimed.  In
fact, they did not give me a choice.  They just sent me the Disetronic.
But, I'm very happy with it, so it was a win for all.