Re: [IP] Exercise & Increased BG levels

ellen, cindy, this exercise thing has had physiologists puzzled for a long
time in normals and diabetics.  When you exercise the liver pumps out
glycogen to meet the muscle's needs.  But the exercising muscle can take up
Glucose by some insuln-independent mechanisms, so the insulin requirements
actually drop.   Whether your BG goes up or down depends on : the intensity
of the exercise, your starting BG, your current blood insulin, what you
have in your stomach/gut, and probably the phase of the moon times the
square root of the Dow Jones average.  You just have to check the BG and
try to work the same routine, or as ellen says"go with the flow"  (as a
swimmer, too, I like that expression ;-).
	One thing certain, however, is that as you use glucose in
exercising, your body will have to replace this.  This can occur
immediately from food in the stomach, or later in replenishing the body's
glycogen stores.  This later process can cause the BG to fall up to several
hours after the exercise.  Again, you've got to check to get to know
thyself.   You can ballpark how much glucose was used up from the calories
burned during exercise.  Unless the exercise is very intense and you start
to burn fat, most of the energy will come from the glucose.  Thus, swimming
laps will burn about 600 Cal/h, so at 4 cal/g of carbo (i.e, glucose), a
half hour of this exercise will use about 75 g of glucose.  Using an
energey expenditure chart for exercise, you can figure out how much glucose
you use with  whatever you are doing.  There are lots of caloric charts on
the internet- one I found with a quick search is at:  (and you've got to
enter the whole thing in inside the quotes)
"http://www.peakp.com/bhtexerciseheartratecharts.htm#Types of Exercise and
The Calories Burned"

<<<<<<<<<<From: email @ redacted

Cindy,  OK, my experience with increased BG after exercise went like this.
When I first went on the pump, I was taking Velosulin and I would take my pump
off to swim.  I swam about 5 days/week for about an hour beginning at 6 or 7
am.  I ate something before I swam and I noticed my BG went high after the
swim.  This was explained to me by someone (I forget who) that I did not have
enough insulin in my body for the glucose to bind to.  I then would take a
couple of units before I took my pump off and my BG would fall as usual.  When
I started taking Humalog, I wore the pump while I swam and never remember
having this problem.  Now, when my BG goes up after exercise, I assume it was
on its way up, WAY UP, and I have kept it from going as far as it would have
gone had I not exercised.  I am never surprised by my BGs because my body is
so unpredictable that I have the mindset to just "go with the flow".  I
believe you are on Humalog and don't disconnect so I would not be concerned
unless it becomes a constant thing.  BTW, I am very jealous that you are able
to be so consistent.  ellen>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wayne Mitzner
615 N. Wolfe St.
Baltimore, MD 21205
Tel. 410 614 5446