Re: [IP] Disabled R US

email @ redacted writes:

<< 35 years ago, upon first becoming IDDM, I promised myself that I would
 not use my diabetes for my own gain .  At that time I believe what I was
 referencing was the ability to gain using IDDM as a negotiating tool or
 a levering agent, most likely in matrimonial battles (having been newly
 Looking back, that decision has served me well because of my particular
 perspective.  I am not suggesting that this should be a modus operandi
 for all not that such a philosophy has any merit whatsoever.
 It does seem, however, that it is a conflict to want not to be
 discriminated against because of diabetes and yet to want certain
 advantages granted because of that very same condition.
 Well said from this section of the Peanut Gallery, Sara!
 Please forgive my rambling.  I am only awake now because my BG was 45 a
 few minutes ago.  Is that using my IDDM?
 Ruth K.

Although I have been a type 1 for almost 39 years, diagnosed at age 11 month,
and I never used diabetes to get any special privileges, I believe that if a
benefit is available it should be used. To take advantage of an offering such
as a scholarship is not taking an unfare benefit from the disease we all
share. I do take offense to anyone using diabetes as a "disability" to get
unfare advantages. I consider my diabetes to be an advantage in some ways. It
has forced me to work harder than others and in many cases the rewards were
great. Use the disease to make yourself a BETTER person but do not let anyone
think that you need special privileges. Good Health and Good Happiness, Jeff.