Re: [IP] I have a question

>From the perspective of a teacher, I just thought I'd add in that kids get
very easily hurt by small things like jewelry at schools all the time and
it is a big problem to handle.  So, you're right, that's where their
reluctance comes in.  Another important factor thoughis that some schools
have signed insurance policies promising a whole variety of things -- no
non enrolled kids in a classroom, no jewelry at sports or out physical
activities, etc.  Lawsuits from a mistake or an insurance company audit
that catches non compliance can cost schools tons of money and that is
money that is taken out of the funds for teaching staff, student resources
etc.   I can understand the anxiety about having her braceletless.  One
option would be to have the designated responsible adult wear her bracelet
since that person would have to take care of an emergency anyway.  Another
is making sure she's got a wallet card in her pump case -- a ER exam
should turn that up in a real emergency.

    Last note:  For those parents frustrated with schools lack of
responsiveness to your needs, it might help to get a picture of how things
often work.  Administrators often have jobs where they must be accountable
to district and state, to solving institutional problems, and to running
PR.  They are sometimes out of touch with how to help and sometimes
worrying more about overall policy than your kid.
    Teachers and coaches often get caught in the middle -- in trouble from
above for asking the school to go too far out of its way to accomodate
students and assaulted by parents who mean well but want one need
prioritized above other.  They also must educate a class, run a community,
raise grant money for the school and etc.  You will find that you get much
more and more effective help if you go see teachers with the attitude that
you want to help them help you and ask thoughtful questions of the
logistics involve and help problem solve to find ways to juggle extra
diabetic tasks effectively.  Most of them will be very grateful and very
helpful instead of sullen. If you need to go to the admin, talk to the
teacher first, ask him or her to help you understand his or her classroom
situation.  Sicing the admin on a teacher will probably get them to do
what you want but will be unpleasant for your child.  Sometimes admins ask
teachers to oblige parents by giving up other things:   for instance, I
was once asked to oblige a parental request to work on physical mobility
in the classroom (to keep her functionally mainstreamed) with a ceberal
palsy student by giving up 15 minutes of my 25 minute lunch break (during
which I usually had a meeting with my co-teacher) 2 times a week and 1
hour of reading tutoring with 2 ADD kids.  I have no objection to helping
that student;  I did object to giving up those other two important
activities.  Diabetes care can be easily worked into the classroom
environment but you have to help people who are not diabetics learn how
and if you can make yourself their advocate you will find you will have
effective and powerful team players..