Re: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V13 #1293 IP Pump

Hello Linda,
 Thank you for the information about the implantable pump. Besides the cost of
the plane fare and hotel, can you share the cost of the initial surgery and the
cost of implanting the pump along with the insulin every 3 months? How does
someone in the US get into see Dr. Renald for an implantable pump? I have been a
Type I diabetic for 48 years and have used a Medtronic pump for 25 years. I am
sick of the now required external CGM receiver (thanks to Medicare)and pump
thing. The implantable pump makes the most sense of anything I have read.
Thank you.
Julie Booth
wrote:

 > Thanks George for putting the correct link up about the implantable pump.
When
 > I put this in I just could not stand more time passing like the last 30
years, I
 > was literally sick of the lows, highs etc. I put it in thinking it would help
me
> for five years until the next best thing comes out.
 > The pump is the 2007 which is big and antiquated but it is well tested and
has
> never killed anyone, to my knowledge.
 > When Medtronic canned it all the people here that were on it either had to
stop
> or go to Europe. I think around 6 chose to go to Europe. There are some world
> authorities on this that believe subq is tantamount to malpractice. I think I
> agree.
 > The normal hepatic pathway is 70% liver and 30% peripheral, which IP achieves
>
>  If you take insulin subq the pathway is opposite, 70% peripheral and 30%
> hepatic.
 > The original device engineer and team that did this pump has a new closed
loop
 > pump with ip sensors that is 1/3 the size of the 2007 and the surgery is easy
 > put it in the butt and then tunnel through the omentum. He has tested it in
dogs
> and it sounds really good.
> The problem is money, so we shall see.
>  I would really like an automated closed loop system but I am really Leary of
 > subq. If the subq systems get to the point of really controlling bg with a
H1C