Re: [IP] Also wondering which new Pump?

Becky, I too became a member of IP in 98 when the choice was between MM and
Disetronic. I called both companies and they both sent Reps. The Rep. for
Disetronic was a CDE who had experience with both pumps and she encouraged
me to fully investigate both pumps and she left an H-tron with me along
with Saline so that I could "trial" the actual use of the pump.  The MM Rep
met with me, he was a very popular guy with all the Endos and CDEs, had
fantastic blue eyes and he seemed to really "charm" a lot of people.
Unfortunately for me, he did not. He lied to me, he yelled at me one time
and generally treated me like a child.  He said that they did not give out
loaner pumps and I knew that others in my area had been able to get a
loaner. He told me that Disetronic was a "dangerous pump" and would not
acknowledge the production problems that MM was having at that time with
cartridges/syringes.

He moved to a different department years later so when the time came for
replacing my 4 year old pump I again contacted ALL the pump companies in
the market. That included Animas, who's Rep was a Type 1, I was impressed
with the company and the product and started in the IR1000. Every 4 years I
do the same, call the companies and see about getting a "trial pump". I was
able to get a MM, or maybe Medtronic at that time, to actually try out (NOT
with insulin) and I was just never really impressed with another pump. I
came close with the Cozmo, but the timing on it didn't work out.  I still
get that "800 lb. Gorilla" attitude dealing with Medtronic from time to
time so I have always been leery of doing business with them. I too am now
on Medicare but to avoid high copays chose AARP Supplemental, It has been
good!  I think I will call Tandem to see where they are with Medicare and
AARP.

That's my story on it.  Wishing you luck with your choice and the Best of
Bgs,

--
George
Type 1 - 53 years - Pumping since 1998