Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 15:00:23 -0700
From: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] waterproof case for Paradigm

>  When I was diving one thing I was taught (and reiterated by
>  experience) was
> the need to double check everything. Although all my equipment was
> certified waterproof you need to check every time you go into the
> water for bad seals, hairline cracks, etc. just because it is
> waterproof when it leaves the factory it does not mean it will still
> be waterproof when you go into water. I had the battery replaced in my
> dive watch. Three weeks later when I went diving I had forgotten about
> it. I got down about 25 feet and noticed the watch had nicely filled
> with water. That was a $300 lesson. I would be more worried about my
> $5000 pump.

Pumps are NOT waterproof. Read the specs. They are generally water
"resistant" to 6 feet or so for a half hour or so. That is a lot different
than a water"proof" watch that will tolerate immersion at 300 feet for days.
Don't confuse the two. What it means for a pump is that it should not die if
you drop it in the toilet, take a hot tub or shower with your pump on.
Swimming and diving with a pump is a bad idea that could cost $5,000 -