RE: [IP] waterproof case for Paradigm

I have done quite a bit of research into waterproofing my diabetes needs. I
kiteboard which means I've been banged, dragged, tea bagged and machine washed
in the water many times. I need something to keep my stuff dry under these
conditions.  After all my research, this is what I've come up with. I wear
board shorts with a side pocket on each side.  The side pockets have inner key
straps. I disconnect my pump but keep it with me in an aqua-pack.  I put the
aqua-pack in one side pocket and hook it into the key strap with a carabiner.
I bring glucotabs with me in a pakpak. I wear board shorts in the water and
keep the pakpak in the other side pocket. If I ever need glucotabs I can pull
out the pakpak and pop the tabs with one hand while holding a massive kite
over my head with the other. My point is, the pakpak is very convenient while
in the water.
This is my water solution which works well for me. Before coming up with this
method, my cozmo had leaked several times. Now the inconveniences of being a
diabetic while doing water sports are minimized.
At one time I did buy the sportguard but I never used it. I thought it was
cheap and bulky.  I just didn't trust it. If you have to apply petroleum jelly
to make something waterproof then it's just a matter of time until that jelly
washes off.

As for blood sugar going down when in the water, I also found that to be true.
There have been times where I have been out in the water for 2 hours with my
pump disconnected. I've come back in to find my levels at a good level and
sometimes even low. The trick is to bolus right away at that point. If you
don't your sugar will rise quickly.

> From: email @ redacted
> To: email @ redacted
> Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 15:00:22 -0700
> Subject: Re: [IP] waterproof case for Paradigm
> > The only experience I've heard with the SportGard on these posts is
> > that it  leaked for them. So this SportGard may be a possibility, but
> > not if it  leaks. How has it worked for you Tom? or anyone else who's
> > used the  SportGard? I want to go snorkeling with it, swim, etc.
> >
> > Yessi Palmer
> > Paradigm 515
> You should not need the pump in the water. You loose a "ton" of
> energy with skin contact to water and are more likely to need carbs
> than insulin. Hey... make sure and tape a tube of glucose gel to your
> BC and your buddy's BC in case you get low while snorkling. BTDT with
> Lily once on a night Scuba dive. She popped the top on the glucose
> and did it underwater. Worked great. Used the same method once while
> "tubing" on the American river. Cold water, a couple of miles from
> the exit point. A bit of duct tape will stick glucose to just about
> anything.   ;-)
> Michael
> Michael
> >
> > > Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 22:47:52 +0000 (UTC)
> > > From: email @ redacted
> > > Subject: Re: [IP] waterproof case for Paradigm

> > > You may be wrong on this. I am almost certain I have heard of 7xx
> > > users  using the SportGard. I just pulled mine out, and there is at
> > > least 3/4"  clearance with my 522. I *think* that would be enough
> > > room to accomodate a 7xx pump.
> >
> > > I'm pretty sure I've heard it's a tight fit, but it does work. YMMV.
> >
> > > Tom
> >
> > > dx'd 1985 age 31
> > > MM 522 since Aug 2007
> > > CGMS since Dec 2007
> > .
> .

Windows 7: It helps you do more. Explore Windows 7.