Re: [IP] Insurance Increase for 2010

At 02:01 AM 10/1/2009, Stacey P. Martin wrote:
>Wow, that's cheap for a family insurance plan.  The insurance I have
>through my employer costs just under $400 for a single person, and I
>pay half of that.  Family insurance is about $1000 at my workplace
>and the company only pays half a single person's amount so most of
>that family cost falls on the employee.  If I didn't get insurance
>through work, I'd be out of luck because of various pre=existing
>conditions and the cost.  I blame this on the insurance companies
>getting away with murder.

I agree.  The new individual policy offered by my insurance for two
people my and my husband's age is $1,300 a month.  This plan covers
mostly everything at a 30% co-pay with a $1,000/$2,000 deductible and
prescriptions at 50% co-pay.  Our current policy, which is no longer
offered, is $300 per month but doesn't cover many things like
prescriptions, doctor office visits and maintenance care.  Everything
it does cover after deductible is at a 30% co-pay.

I'd still like to know what kind of coverage he has for $458 a
month.  I'd bet it's a lot better than what I have, and I would be
thrilled to have it and pay that premium.

>The business model is just wrong for dealing with healthcare.  The
>business model says that insurance companies should charge as much
>as they can and give as little as they can.  That means that the
>insurance company wants to deny as much as they can in terms of
>coverage because that saves them money, and they want to pay out as
>little as possible as well.  This, in my opinions, is just the wrong
>way to deal with healfthcare.  Under this model, an insurance
>company would be much better off just saying we don't cover
>diabetes.  Luckily, various governments, state and federal, have
>rules about what has to be covered.

You got that right.  However, if the govt. only requires private
insurance to cover pre-existing conditions with no caveats, then they
can charge us whatever they want to cover us.  $5,000 a
month?  $10,000 a month?  Sure, and they can say they're following
the law and covering pre-existing.  I'm not going to get into health
care reform, but if there's nothing to force insurance companies to
offer insurance with decent coverage for a reasonable cost, they can
and will do whatever they want. Just like they are now.

RoseLea