Re: [IP] Camel's Milk

At 12:29 AM 10/1/2009, Paul Lehman wrote:
>  It's fun to joke about but I actually found a couple articles on
> this seemingly
>silly idea.
>This first link is from 2004
>http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/18278.php
>  This next link you will probably have to copy and paste into your
> browser. This
>one is from the International Journal of Diabetes indeveloping Countries
>

>http://www.ijddc.com/article.asp?issn=0973-3930%3Byear=2002%3Bvolume=22%3Bissue=2%3Bspage=70%3Bepage=74%3Baulast=Agrawal
>
>Paul TI 2/1981 @21yo MM515
>.

The first article states:

>A small month-long study in people with Type 1 diabetes (which does
>not appear to have been formally published) suggested that drinking
>almost a pint of camel milk daily improved blood glucose levels,
>reducing the need for insulin.
>
>As there have not been enough studies in humans yet, Diabetes UK
>does not recommend camel milk as a treatment for diabetes - an
>animal's milk contains nutrients that are tailored for its young
>
>We don't know what the longer-term effects of drinking camel's milk
>are for humans - like any sensible wise man we'll be keeping a close
>watch on future developments.

That was in 2004, five years ago.  Perhaps they've since discovered
that camel's milk has some odd side effects when ingested by humans.

The ijddc.com article which cites an initial study says:

>We also observed significant reduction in insulin doses to obtain
>glycemic control along with significant improvement in HbA1C level
>at the end of three months. No other studies are available for
>comparison. Improvement in microalbuminuria may be due to good
>glycemic control or it may be due to direct effect of camel milk.
>There was marked improvement in diabetes quality of life score after
>3 month of camel milk treatment. It may be because of good glycemic
>control or anabolic effect of camel milk. El Agamy (1992)[11] found
>good amount of lysozyme, lactoferrin, lactoperoxidase,
>immunoglobulin G and secretory immunoglobulin A in camel milk.

So, they're still not sure.  If, however, it has been proven then why
have we not all been told by our endos to start drinking camel's
milk?  I see one date cited is 1992.  Oh, and it looks like this
initial study was done in 2002.  If this has been proven, then again
why are we not all being prescribed camel's milk?   Where do you buy
camel's milk?  I've never seen it in my grocery store.

I still think this is a pipe dream.  24 randomized subjects (from
India) in an initial study does not prove an actual treatment or effect.

RoseLea