<< Right now I have taken to changing my site right before I eat a meal in
the morning (usually) and bolusing for my meal with a needle.
I would love to know if anyone has any other suggestions.>>

I have this same thing happen at every site change.  I'm on a MM 722 using
Humalog, and highly insulin resistant.
I've developed a routine that works for me.  First, I try to change my site
a couple of hours after a meal.  I'll install the new site and leave the old
site still intact, yet plug it (23" angled silhouette)for about 2 hrs.  I
will use the new site for bolus add.  Then with the next meal I try to eat
with small carb intake, so that my meal bolus is on low side.
It takes my body 5-6 hours to return to "normal", accepting the insulin.  My
body seems to react slowly to the new site.  If I try too much bolus too
soon, I can ruin the new site.  Leaving the old site intact for a couple of
hours after I've stopped using it, has helped me use the insulin still at
that site, while it seems to start heal - no oozing of either blood or
insulin when the cannula is pulled out.
Like I said, it works for me.  I've been getting a solid 3 days for over 6
months.  It took me 6 months of trial and error to get to this point
Dick