[IP] Re: Anger Issues insulin-pumpers-digest V10 #665

What's described here seems all too common to me.  Over the years
I've met hundreds of pumpers with teh same anger issues.  I had them
to a greater extent in the past and still do now.  For me the intense
anger at "bad" bg's is caused by one or more of the following:

bg's >8ish cause a downward spiral in my mood and create an
"underlying stress" (whether or not I know the bg level at the time).

bg's <3.7ish cause a severe and violent irritation at everything and
I've always directed my negative emotions inward.

The rest are cognitive reasons which are harder to control due to
depression and the effects of the low or high bg:

Not treating the bg result as a result only and not a judgement:
"I'm a loser and worthless if that's the best I can do after all my
hard work... ...there's no reason for this result"!  Easy to fight
with normal range bg's but not with higher or lowers. I find any "not
normal range" brings automatic thoughts of things I've been told over
the decades by doctors, parents, friends, employers etc.:  ie:  "it
should be easy" stuff.

In reality bg control is much harder for many of us than others but
for all of us a constant, exhausting battle.  I guess, what I'm
saying is that the only way I've found to control the anger at bg
results is to think of them differently:  as a number to deal with
accordingly; not a judgement on my performance.  HArd though when
small bg changes have such drastic on one's ability to control their
thinking and thus, emotions.  Many say emotions all are spawned by
thoughts...

DP

--
Darrin Parker