[IP] Re: lows at night

>> Artorius Rex posted:
The assumption that a louder alarm clock will work in waking someone up from a
low gives credit to having more cognitive abilties while low than actually
exist.  I too do not wake up just because I'm low, but I do wake up when high.
I don't think there are enough mental pistons firing in the brain when low
to get the wakeup signal and respond to it.  Volume and logic have no role
in this scenario.
I've woken up in a daze, or been woken up with a mouth full of jelly beans
(which I like and are the preferred remedy) or other vile glucose laden
substances and not had the mental tools to fix the problem myself or even
respond rationally.
Fixing the true cause of the low would be a better long term solution.  The
alarm clock not getting shut off is just a symptom of a problem that needs to
be fixed.

You are absolutely correct!  Noah has very few nighttime lows, I just
would prefer he had none : )  He actually has more highs during the
night (due to late night eating and high fat foods consumed).  I know
the biggest culprit in his highs AND lows during the night stem from
the late night eating and under or over bolusing.  I'm just a big
softie and don't want to make him change his eating habits but we
will have to come up with a solution.  Maybe pick two or three foods
and get them down to a science (or as close to it as possible) in how
much insulin he needs to cover them, and what type of bolus to use.
We've then eliminated one huge factor.  The others which are harder
to calculate are activity level, stress, illness, etc.  Isn't this
disease fun??  : )

Cindy, mom to 17 y/o Noah